Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 7, 2013

Create Art

Today's post is about being inspired by art wherever you find it!  My kids belong to a monthly subscription plan from Kiwi Crate (if you have kids, check it out...great stuff) and last month's projects were all about modern art. 

One of the projects was to create a Mondrian painting.  About half way through the project, I realized I could create the same look in my journal!  I love how it turned out...so different than the free form of many art journal pages but it's great to have a different look gracing my journal pages.
 
 I started by painting two pages with gesso.  You'll always want to prep your pages with gesso whenever paint is involved.  (Using Dylusions Ink Sprays, don't gesso!)  I then used low tack tape (you could use washi or tissue tape) to create my boxes.  I actually used a Configurations Box for the design!
 Then I got busy with paint!  I chose four colors that worked well together and then added two neutrals, black and cream.
 Once the paint was dry, I decided to decorate the boxes.  Now I would normally use Archival Inks with stencils but I adore Wendy's new ink colors and they were the perfect match for my paint colors as I wanted more of a watermark look.  I used a bunch of new Wendy stencils as well as a few of Catherine's new stamps.  (See supply list links at the end of this post).  I kept the tape on when I was stenciling.

 Once all of my boxes were decorated, I removed the tape!  WooHoo!!  I was so excited by the final look...so different than what I normally create but it was so much fun!  (I need to go back and clean up a few of my lines...makes me twitch that I had a little paint sneak under the tape!)
 Here's the full journal spread.  Super fun and quick project...what have you been inspired by this week?

Supplies:

9 comments:

SusanK said...

Interesting and what a fun concept! I think even I can do this!

wendy vecchi said...

looks very cool!

Broni said...

I love it! I would definitely leave the little paint slips. They just add to the character! And I love the colors you put together!

Broni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Looks so cool!! What a fun project! :)

toni said...

Wow love this! Such a great idea. Really like the colour on colour stamping too x

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE this, Kim, and I LOVE the added stenciling! Great color combo, too! Very inspiring!

Micki said...

love the idea and love the colors. great idea to use the paint slips...... definitely looks like a fun project.

Tracy said...

Oh..ohhh and ohhhhh Kim..I love how it turned out and going to do this in my old book journal!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox